To get a legislation to govern obligations and rights under construction agreements and also the relationship among the Landlord and the tenant including the procedure for its recovery of premises and also for additional connected intentions in Lagos State.
Inch. Program of Regulation
- (1) This law will apply to each of assumptions within just Lagos State, for example residential and business premises unless specified
(2) This Law shall not apply :
(a) residential premises owned or operated through an academic institution for its own staff and pupils;
(b) residential premises furnished for emergency shelter;
(do ) Residential assumptions
(I) at a care or hospice facility;
(ii) in a public or private hospital or even a mental wellness facility; and
(d) that is made available in the duration of providing rehabilitative or curative treatment.
- Jurisdiction of the Courts
(1) A Court will have jurisdiction on application made for this from a landlord or tenant or some curious individual to determine matters in respect of their tenancy of any premises let prior or after the commencement of the Legislation.
(two ) The jurisdiction of the courtroom shall not be ousted by the suspect or respondent preparing the title of any other celebration.
(3) Proceedings could be brought under this Legislation at the higher Court or in the Magistrates Court at the division or even the Magisterial District by which the subject material giving rise into the event is located.
- Tenancy Contract
For the purposes of the Legislation, a tenancy agreement shall be deemed to exist at which premises are granted by the landlord to a person for value whether it is
(a) express or implied;
(b) oral or in writing or partially oral or partially composed; or
(do ) for a fixed span.
- Advance Hire
(1) It will be legal for a landlord or his representative to receive or demand from the sitting tenant rent in excess of three (3) weeks in respect of any premises.
(two ) It will be unlawful to get a sitting renter to offer or pay rent over 3 (3) weeks with regard to any assumptions.
(3) Any person who gets or cover rent over what exactly is prescribed in this area shall be guilty of an offence and will be liable to a fine of one hundred thousand naira (N100,000.00) or into a few (3) weeks imprisonment or some other non-custodial mood.
- Rent Cost receipt
(1) As from the start of this Law, all of landlords of premises will upon cost of lease by the tenants, so be unwilling to trouble a leasing payment receipt for their own renters in respect of such payments.
(2) The receipt shall say the
(a) day of which rent had been received;
(b) Title of the landlord and the renter;
(do ) site of assumptions determined by the rental has been paid
(Id ) Amount of lease; and
(e) time period to which the payment varies.
(4. ) Any landlord who does not trouble a rent payment reception to his tenant as prescribed under this Section, will be liable to a fine of 10 thousand Naira (N10,000.00) payable into the courtroom.
- All those parties
(Inch ) The tenants flocked to quiet and peaceable pleasure Contains the best :
(a) sensible privacy;
(b) freedom from irrational interference;
(c) Exceptional ownership of the premises, topic to this landlords restricted right from inspection and
(d) the employment of ordinary areas such as moderate and lawful intentions.
(2) where a renter with the prior approval in writing of the landlord, impacts developments in the premises as well as the landlord establishes the tenancy, this kind of lien will probably be entitled to claim repayment for the effect improvements on discontinuing the premises.